Somewhere on A1A...

Thursday, September 11, 2003


Yitgadal v'yitkadash sh'mey rabah...

I've got it in my mind and I can't get it out. This morning, instead of a song, I have the Mourner's Kaddish going through my head. It actually started last night on the way home, when, on NPR, I heard the report of David and Nava Applebaum's funeral. The reporter, Linda Gradstein, included a recording of the mourners saying the prayer. It's been stuck in my head since.

Waking up this morning... Y'hey sh'mey rabah m'vorach, l'alam ulalmey almaya....

Over and over I hear the words and the haunting rhythm replay in my head. But unlike some silly jingle stuck in an obnoxious loop, I'm not trying to chase this away.

It's a comforting background to the day. I can't think of any better way to remember those we lost while expressing hope for the future. So, now, I'm trying to pass it on. Maybe it'll comfort someone else too...
Oseh shalom bimromav, hu ya'aseh shalom aleynu, v'al kol yisrael, vimru amen.



Home

free hit counter