Somewhere on A1A...

Friday, August 08, 2003


On Prisons

From all I know, jail is an unpleasant place. I think it ought to be. As a formal Naval Officer it has always offended me that federal prisoners have better living conditions than I had aboard ships... and my accommodations were luxurious compared to the junior, enlisted sailors. The left has always cared more about the welfare and comfort of felons than they do about the men and women in uniform whose work ensures our freedoms, but I digress.

This little bit from the BBC about conditions in the prison at Gitmo, deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.

"I don't think there is even a sanatorium in Russia that would compare to this," Ayrat Vakhitov said in a letter to his mother published by Russia's Gazeta newspaper.

"Nobody is being beaten or humiliated," he wrote.

The mothers of Mr Vakhitov from Tatarstan and Rasul Kudayev from Kabarda-Balkaria strongly oppose the extradition of their sons to Russia, reports Itar-Tass news agency.

"I fear the Russian prisons and the Russian courts," Mr Vakhitov's mother Amina said.
What, then does Amnesty International find so abhorrent in their treatment? I'm continually baffled by many of the new left's positions. This is just one of them.



Home

free hit counter